Crybaby

My 6 month old kitten is constantly sitting up on his hind legs like a litte squirl why does he do this?

He seems to be happy and enjoys sitting on his hind legs, and he does it often and stays like that for a while, 5-15 minutes at a time. I'm not worried that it is a problem, just curious why he does it so much.

Asked by Crybaby on Mar 2nd 2009 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

I've never had a Maine coon, so don't quote me, but I've heard they typically do this. Is there any chance he has some Maine coon heritage? I used to have a cat that did that every once in awhile, but not regularly. I think it's cute!

answered on Mar 2nd.

Answers

Lily Rose- 2007-2010

WHAT a cutie! My Lily Rose, who is a tiny kitty at only about 6 pounds, does the same thing. I believe they feel that it makes them taller when they sit up like that.

Lily Rose- 2007-2010 answered on 3/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yoichi

My scottish fold does this all the time. I think it is comfortable for him, and it gives him more height.

Yoichi answered on 3/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I currently have 9 Maine Coons (6 are kittens to be homed), and I've never seen this behavior. You live in Lebanon? Where did this cat originate from? If not America, the chances of MC blood are slim. He does have MC eyes, but otherwise, he looks like a generic moggie. So...back to the squirrel thing--I've never experienced it with any of my cats, including the Maine Coons. Now, if he were playing with water, that could be a sign that he is part MC--all my cats and kittens came hard-wired to play with water. But no squirrel-sitting.