Binx

My 6 month old (inside only) kitten was attacked by the landlords barn (outside only) cat. Her third eyelid is torn.

She recently went into heat and we unlocked the kitty door to the garage so she can go out and call without being "outside". One of the landlords cats got in the garage yesterday while I was cleaning out the truck. I didnt see her and shut the garage door (trapping her) and went inside. A little while later I had to go to town and the whole family went (even the dog), leaving Binx home by herself. When we got home my husband found the older cat (Ugly, we didnt name her) inside our house. I realized I had left the cat door unlocked and that Ugly had somehow stowed away in our garage. We put her out immediately and went to look for Binx. Ugly has a history of trying to kill her. We found her in the kids room hiding and we were so glad she was alive that we didnt really look at her very close at first. Later we noticed she was squinting one eye. I looked and her third eyelid was torn and hanging out. Today her eye is open and looks better. What would you do about this?

Asked by Binx on Apr 1st 2010 Tagged kitten, attacked, third, eyelid in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Well, first of all go to the vet immediately. I (the Human) got a cat scratch on my cornea a while back, and doctors take these injuries very seriously indeed. First, there is danger of infection; Binx will probably need antibiotics and antibiotic eye drops. Whether the injury was due to a scratch or a bite, immediate medical attention is a must. I've never had any of my cats experience anything like that, but it sounds like surgery might be necessary, perhaps at the hands of an animal eye specialist. Do not delay going to the vet--if you can't get an appointment immediately, go to a veterinary ER. You don't want Binx to have a permanently scarred eye, or go blind, do you? Secondly, I see that Binx is 6 months old. Since she's already gone into heat, she should be spayed ASAP. Is Ugly spayed? If not, spay her too. Unspayed females can be very hostile with each other. And since Ugly has a death wish against Binx, make sure next time that the two stay apart. Good luck.

Chibi answered on 4/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There is a strong possibility that even though Binx's eye looks "better", there is an infection brewing in there. Since she is in the barn,garage, whatever, she can very easily get dirt in there not to mention the germs that were introduced by the attack. Absolutely have her and any other unaltered cats you can get your hands on around the property. Male and female cats in heat who want to mate have been known to fight to the death.

I'd definitely take her to a vet. You don't want infection to set in. You probably also want to seriously consider having Binx spayed. It will make her life MUCH less complicated in so many ways.

First, take the cat to a vet and have her eye checked out and treated. Second, leave the cat there to get it spayed and its age appropriate vaccines. Finally, get the rest of the unaltered cats fixed too!!!! Otherwise, you are going to have major problems with fighting, and obviously more kittens!!!! Yikes!!!!