My 6 mo old kitten wakes me at 5-6 am daily. How can I stop him? He doesn't do it when I take him camping just at home.

Asked by Member 1132277 on Sep 24th 2012 in Methods of Training

Answers

Welcome to motherhood! This is completely normal for kittens, the only thing is, either shut him out, but then his bonding process with you could be hampered, or struggle through it, and you'll have a devoted cat for life (in my experience), It's really tough going, but they do out-grow the stage at around 9-12 months (average). You might try and not give him the attention by ignoring him completely, and he'll soon get the message. Once they out-grow kitten stage,he'll be happy just to wake you a little later. It takes a lot of patience, but it's worth it in the end! He may not do this when you're camping if you're sleeping with him in a small tent and he's snuggled with you. I have to say that Izzie does this occasionally as well at 5:30. He just sits on my pillow and stares at me, but it's disconcerting anyway! Good Luck!