my 5 month old kitty "sam" (boy) was neutered today will not keep e-collar on... suggestions?

ive read on some web pages to let him go without the collar... but he is very particular about his "area" and likes to lick.... also is going nuts with the collar on... BUT i would like to get some sleep tonight..haha... suggestions would be amazing!

Asked by Member 811512 on Mar 4th 2009 Tagged ecollar, neutering, male, kitty, nuts in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

Harvey

I've had three cats neutered, and none of them got an e-collar. The most recent one (Harvey) was closed up with surgical glue. He licked the area, and I was a bit worried, but that ended after around a day. I should add that he got a three-day dose of antibiotics to stave off infections. Neutering is a fairly simple surgery, and usually cats are back to their old selves within two days or so. IF NOT--IF there is redness, signs of infection, lethargy, or the cat is preoccupied with the surgical area, contact your yet. That's what you spent the money for---not just the surgery, but aftercare.

Harvey answered on Mar 5th.

Answers

sinclair

Well I just got my 7 month old neutered 5 days ago.
He didn't wear e-collar.
Are vet side he didn't need one.
He just licked it for a little while and then he was fine.
I would let be without the collar and see how he is.
GOOD LUCK!

sinclair answered on 3/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Kira

By saying that he won't keep it on, do you mean he actually gets it off or that he is just mad about having it on and is having a hard time with it? Kira had fairly serious surgery and had to wear the e collar for a week or more. It was sad to watch but it was necessary for her best healing. If he is licking excessively at the area then he really needs to keep it on. The one Kira had came with a cord that kept it in place. Maybe you just don't have the cord tight enough? The only time Kira got it off was once when i didn't tie it tight enough. They do get used to it and learn to get around. Take it off for supervised eating or drinking. But only when you can watch to make sure he doesn't get at the surgical area. I also took the cover of one of the litterboxes so she would not have trouble getting in and out of the doorway.

Kira answered on 3/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer