my 5 month old kitten is FAT! she always wants food how much should I let her have?

Asked by Member 1157372 on Feb 28th 2013 Tagged kitten, food, fat in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Just like with people, being fat when you're young can be a lifetime problem. First of all, make sure your kitten is truly overweight. If she hasn't been to a vet yet, she needs to go. A parasitic infestation (worms) can cause her to constantly be hungry and bloats the stomach. Take a sample of her poop in to the vet so it can be tested. I'm lucky with my cats. Even when Izzie was a kitten, he was free fed, meaning I left food in his bowl all the time. My cats regulate themselves and even though they "graze" all the time, none of them are fat. When you take her to the vet, let them know how much she eats, how much she poops and how active she is. Take a notebook along and record what they say about how and what to feed her. If she gets a clean bill of health, try playing with her more to keep her active. If your lifestyle and budget allow, you might even consider getting another kitten to keep her occupied and active. And, of course, don't feed her "people food" or too many treats.