my 5 month old kitten--have had a week--nipped me several times today on my arm--how do I handle this?

my 5 month old kitten--have had him a week--nipped me several times today on my arm--the last time he kept the teeth in my arm, but no puncture. How do I handle this behavior? I've read he is teething, I have a plastic coat hanger in the freezer now--any suggestions? He is not neutered YET, vet said his 'adult' molars (?) are not in yet. Help, please,my other cat NEVER nipped or bitten me.

Asked by Member 1195818 on Oct 23rd 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Yes, your kitten is teething. When he does this, pull back and say OUCH!! very loudly. This will let him know that he is hurting you. There are also kitten teethers and soft toys that can be frozen by petStages- check them out. Finally, all cats are different, and you can't expect one to behave like another. Kittens are very frisky and you have to keep them occupied with many toys, scratchers and a climbing post to keep them entertained. There are kitty babysitter dvd's that they can watch on TV (with or without sound) while you're not home. A bored kitty is a destructive kitty... ^_^