My 4 weeks old kitten does not pee not poop?

I've recently started to take care of a cat and her 4 kittens, but they would not come inside my house so I built them a shelter in my backyard. This morning I found two of the kittens dead. The mother arrived and took one of the live babies away. The other one was really smaller than the others, so I decided to take it inside and adopt it. I took it to the vet. She didn't have time to take care of it right then, so she gave me maternal milk and kitten food and told me to stop by on monday. I've had the kitten for about 12 hours now. It eats well, sleeps a lot and does not seem to be scared of me at all. However, what worries me is that it has not peed not pooped not even once in the past hours. The vet said it was 4 to 6 weeks old. Is there anything I can do, or will it go on its own?

Asked by Member 841548 on May 30th 2009 Tagged pee, poop, kitten, abandonned in Health & Safety

Answers

♥ Tasha ♥

You may need to help it along. Mom would lick the baby to stimulate it and then it would go; so try a moist wash cloth & gently wipe the baby to stimulate it. Good luck!

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 5/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Rodney

I have fostered young motherless kittens and the previous poster is right. Use luke warm water and a soft cloth. Wipe and rub very gently on their genitalia. It make take a few minutes before anything happens.
Word to the wise though...it can be very messy and loud. Many of the kittens i have done this for tend to scream the first few times because it is a little painful their first time. If you are having trouble or are unsure take them to the vet. The vet will be able to show you in person how to do it and make sure everyone id healthy.
If you have any more questions just let me know and I'd be happy to answer them. Congrats on fostering as well. Its alot of work but very rewarding.

Rodney answered on 5/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer