My 4 month old female cat she eats cat food but goes insane when my family is eating.?

My four month old kitten eats her dry cat food as well as wet, but when my family (especially my twins) are eating she does INSANE!, I mean she literly finds a way to get to their plates and tries to get a bite. I have tried squirting her with water when she does it, and everything else I could think of. It is quite annoying considering my boys hardly eat as it is and when she does this its gets them completely distracted. Sorry Im babbling, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Asked by Member 1115549 on Jun 13th 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I can understand your issue. If your children think it's fun to feed the cat their food, you must explain to them that they can't do that and possibly take away some privileges from them if you catch them feeding her from the table. Separate the cat from them when it's mealtime. Put her in another room. Tell the twins that the kitty cannot come back out until they are done eating and dishes are cleaned up. Don't relent. The situation will only get worse and sooner or later, you'll have a new and constant centerpiece on your table even if it's Thanksgiving or Christmas with guests and not much you can do about it.It's up to you to train the cat and your twins that you will not tolerate this behavior and then enforce it.Do not leave food out on the counter or in the sink for the cat. It's hard to keep them off counters, etc., but if there's nothing interesting up there, they'll stay down. Kittens need training just like kids, and it's up to you to be "the boss!"

I was the same way when I was a kitten. I would try anything to get the food off the humans' plates, and one time I tried so hard that I actually fell into the spaghetti! I was a terrible pest; it didn't matter how many times I got squirted with the water bottle, I just squinted my eyes and took it! It took a while (can you say years?) but I eventually grew out of that behavior. I still like to get tidbits from the table, but now I just sit and wait for them, although now and then I still make a pest of myself and mom has to put me in the basement during mealtime.