Sherlock Merlin a.k.a Locky

My 4 1/2 month old sweet mannered kitten suddenly started attacking and biting my hand. These are no playful bites.

I got her when she was 2 months and we got along fine. She was hand raised stray I got from my friends. To date she is the most affectionate kitten I have seen. This biting started some 5 days ago. I plan to get her spayed after she turns 5 months old. I sometimes spray her with water when she does something wrong like climbing kitchen counters and open windows. Initially I used to play with her with my hands but I stopped that months ago and always use a toy. When she is in this biting mood she keeps running away from me. Other times she is all cuddly and wants me to pet her. These bites are very painful.She used to stop biting me when I yell NO. These days she wont. What do I do? HELP!!! She never hisses or growls at me. Even before biting. She just attacks it like how she attacks one of her paper balls

Asked by Sherlock Merlin a.k.a Locky on Apr 25th 2013 Tagged kittenbitingattackinghandpainfulhelp in Aggression

Answers

Unfortunately, your kitten got mixed messages from you, and the wrong message, that it's OK to bite hands, stuck with her. I need to tell you that, although many disapprove of this behavior, climbing counters and into windows is normal cat behavior. They like to be up high, and of course, windows provide an opportunity to watch "cat t.v.". You will need to observe your cat very closely. What prompts her behavior? Cats seldom bite "out of the blue". Something sets them off. Watch her eyes and fur. Her eyes will become large, her fur ruffled and ears may go back when she's about to bite. When she has this reaction, tell her "no bite!", stop what you're doing and walk away from her. Why does she bite and then run from you? Even though you no longer use your hands, is playtime too intense for her? Does she get too worked up? The spray bottle can be over-used and stops working after a while. She may need to be spayed now. Hormone overload can cause aggression.