My 3-4yr old spayed, indoor cat has recently started peeing on towels, bath mat, clothes laying on the floor. We've had

Asked by Member 1150745 on Jan 18th 2013 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Buddha

First thing to do is take her to the vet and have her checked for urinary problems. Urinating in inappropriate places is usually the first sign a cat has a urinary medical problem.
Other things to consider:
Try giving her 2 litter pans. Some cats don't like to use a dirty litter pan, others prefer to use a pan for urinating and another pan for defecating. I've had some cats that wouldn't urinate in litter, these cats would urinate in a pan of newspapers kept beside the litter pan.
Have there been any changes in the household lately? Have any chemicals been used near her litter pan? Has anything scared her while she was in the litter pan urinating? Have you changed your brand of litter recently? All these things can cause a cat to relieve herself in inappropriate places.
I've retrained cats to use the litter by keeping them in an x-large plastic dog crate with litterpan(clean it reg.), bed, food & water then releasing the cat after the cat has been clean in the crate a month.

Buddha answered on 1/28/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer