Lil' Vicious

My 2yo female spayed cat has a few fleas everyday. started losing patches of fur. I just need something natural to kee

Asked by Lil' Vicious on Mar 9th 2012 Tagged fleas, losinghair, natueaprevention in Flea & Tick Protection

Answers

Do yourself and your cat a favor and purchase some Advantage topical flea medication from your veterinarian. I recommend Advantage because I used it on both an elderly cat and a cat who had a seizure history and neither had any ill effects from using Advantage. I will say, however, that I had problems using Front Line on my one cat. She would have seizures within 24 hours of applying Front Line. I stopped using that product and tried Advantage. Advantage will kill the existing fleas and any eggs and lasts for 30 days. I wouldn't bother with any "natural" remedy because those remedies are not reliable and don't prevent re-infestation. Check with your vet and I'm sure he/she will recommend a topical product such as Advantage.

Cali

Yes, unfortunately the best option for flea control is a prescription spot treatment from your vet. You're right to avoid store-bought chemical concoctions- the quality control on those are very poor and there have been many recalls and lawsuits over poisonings and they often aren't even strong enough to wipe out the infestations because they typically only target one stage of the flea life cycle; but a Rx strength spot treatment (We like Revolution, it kills more than just fleas and we use it on feral cats ranging in ages from 3 months to 10+ years) should wipe out the flea problem in just 1-3 monthly doses if she's not being exposed to new fleas.

Natural insect repellents rely on essential oils which contain compounds as strong or stronger than many drugs, and can be very effective, but only at doses that big humans with their quite resilient livers can tolerate. A dose strong enough to wipe out fleas on a cat would also poison a cat.

Cali answered on 3/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nika

A great organic, non-toxic repellent you can use is PETfection Bug Spray. It will help with fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. Brush her first with a flea comb, then spray her all over and rub down into the fur and skin. It will help heal up any bites she has gotten and also help prevent future fleas from jumping on her. Spray it on daily or as needed throughout flea season. I hope this helps!

Nika answered on 3/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First of all, the anti-flea toxins you get at the Vet's office are the same thing you buy at the store. I have tried Frontline and Advantage and neither worked (I was desperate). If you go to 1800PetMeds and look up the reviews for Frontline or Advantage, you will see hundreds of unsatisfied pet owners. Secondly, there are natural solutions that kill fleas as well as work to prevent them. They are a million times safer for your pet: 1.Brewer's Yeast-in wet food, one teaspoon daily for most cats' weight. Fleas do not like the taste. It also strengthens the cat's immune system (contains B vitamins as well as essential amino acids ). You can also rub the powder into the fur. You can get it at any health food store-Whole Foods, etc. 2. Diatamascious Earth- a powder comprised of microscopic marine fossils which puncture the flea and leave it to dehydrate.(Find on-line) 3.For the carpet: 3 parts borax (found at Target) to 1 part salt. Leave for half hour, vaacum. This should kill the fleas.