My 2 yr old cat hisses and growns at her 4 month old kitten?

My cat is gonna be 2yrs old she just had kittens about 4 months ago and now we only have 1 left which we are keeping, the mom just starting moewing loudly in the end of dec. into jan. I figured she was in heat but during that time she started hissing at her kitten and growling at her and hitting her. She does the same but now calls to her and when she comes to her the mom hisses at her and doesn't want her near her but when she can't see her or just wants to know where she is the kitten will run to her and she'll reject her? What's wrong with her? She's really agressive and mean to the her daughter!

Asked by Member 1211126 on Jan 24th 2014 in Aggression

Answers

If you are spending more time with the kitten than the mom, then the mother is jealous. On top of that, it is better to keep two cats of opposite genders. If you are not a breeder, why are you letting you cat contribute to the global kitty population problem? PLEASE get both of them spayed... this will calm them down and limit some aggression. Feed the kitten a healthy food for her first year such as Natural Choice Wholesome Essentials in the light green bag. ^_^