Cyrilla

My 2 year old adopted cat chews on my fingers.

We adopted Cyrilla 2 weeks ago from the animal shelter. She is very loving, and playful. But quite often when I am petting her, she will suddenly grab my hand and start chewing on on a finger. I pull away and say "NO", then offer her a toy. She just cries and rubs up against me. This isn't just soft little nibbles, it's hard chewing. I have no idea what to do about this. I have had cats my entire life, and none of them have done this. What should I do?

Asked by Cyrilla on Mar 28th 2009 Tagged chewing, biting in Aggression

Answers

One of the things that kept my Delilah unadopted and at the shelter was that she "love bit". Some of her love bites were pretty hard and it was always during petting. At some time, Cyrilla may have been hit or a child may have pulled her fur and she reckons she's going to "get" you before (she thinks) you're going to do the same. It's always a good idea to have her checked by your vet to make sure there are no health issues-a tender spot, skin issue, etc. You can watch for signs that she's about to bite; lowered ears, protruding eyes, deep growl, claws come out, etc., but like Delilah, she may not give a warning. A sharp no and handing her a chewie toy is the right thing to do. You don't want to spray her directly in the face as her biting may already be a reaction to harsh punishment. For now, show your love with only short (seconds long) pets and more vocal praise than petting. You've only had her for a short time, and her biting may be somewhat of a trust issue.