My 2 cats have been together for over 5 years, yet still hate the guts of each other. Tiger, a female Tortie tends to be

Tiger, a spayed female Tortie tends to be the one who instigates the fight. Smokey, a neutered male persian, tends to run away in fear and doesn't fight back. I'm at my wits end, please help.

Asked by Member 1152303 on Jan 28th 2013 Tagged fights, cats in Behavior & Training

Answers

If you have tolerated this for 5 years, I have to wonder if something has changed or if the behaviors have escalated recently. If so, then both cats need to go to the vet for an exam. Cats seem to have a 6th sense about illness, and if one isn't feeling well, the other may pick on him or her. Is Tiger an otherwise friendly cat or is she always a little grumpy around people and/or other animals? If she is, this may be her personality. Others have told me that Torties tend to have an attitude. It's actually called "Tortie-tude". This behavior happens in the wild, too. There is usually one male and one female who are the "Alphas", or the leaders. All the others in the group follow them. At the bottom of the ladder is the "Omega" who allows itself to be bossed around and picked on and will retreat when challenged. If Tiger is really attacking Smokey to the point of fur flying and blood-letting, then you do need to get them to the vet. If there's just hissing and swatting, it's normal.