My 1 year 5 month old female cat weighs 12 pounds is that normal?

Female kitty. 12 pounds. Spayed, and is an indoor ONLY cat. Gets fed 3 times a day wet food ( she shares with one other cat) and always has dry food available. Is her weight normal? and is her feeding habit okay?

Asked by Member 1080239 on Dec 27th 2011 Tagged averageweight, normal, cat, kitt, pounds, yr in The Catster Website

Answers

Cali

12 pounds is a little on the larger side for a female cat, but if her frame is large enough it could be perfectly fine. If we could see a picture of her we'd have a much better idea of how appropriate her weight is, and of course your vet can give you an honest assessment of what her weight should be for her size. Generally they like for cats to have a slight natural waist bellow the ribs and not a lot of pudge hanging down.

Wet food three times a day is okay if she doesn't eat too much at each feeding and doesn't chow down on the dry food, but again, you really have to go by whether the vet says she's maintaining a good figure for her size on the current diet. If she's keeping fit on the current routine cutting back suddenly could make her lose too much weight and put her at risk for other health problems.

Cali answered on 12/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

A cat's weight can have alot to do with what type of breed they are. My female cat weighs 12 pounds, but she's a Ragdoll. Ragdoll's are big cats. Personally I do think that feeding her wet food 3 times a day is a bit much. I think that once a day is plenty. Ask the vet to assess her weight.