My 14 weeks old kittens meows (cries) constantly. He is health, fed and plenty of attention.

His mom, My calico had kittens again about 4 days ago. We have had to separate him from her and the new babies, as well as she began to separate herself from him the last few weeks of her pregnancy. I realize this could be a reason, but, he has always cried a lot. How much is too much meowing? Is there anything I can do to if this is mommy separation to make this transition better for us all. All input is greatly appreciated!

Asked by Member 1126334 on Aug 18th 2012 in Separation Anxiety

Answers

If your cat is popping out kittens every few months, the first thing I'd like to respectfully suggest you do is have her spayed. Some kittens are very needy. Some, like Izzie, could care less as long as they're fed. If your kitten has not been to a vet yet, he needs to go to make sure he has no health concerns and is not trying to tell you he doesn't feel well. A kitten who is "turned loose" so to speak, before he's ready to separate can face a lifetime of behavioral issues. If he was around 12 weeks old when she kicked him out, he should have been ready. And, at 14 weeks of age, he could be reach sexual maturity and have hormones raging. Many cats do reach their sexual maturity at 16 weeks. He may be vocalizing because he's getting ready to mate and not because he misses mom. I would suggest you talk with your vet about when to spay the mom and also about this guy's behavior as well.