Isabel   In Loving Memory

My 13 yr old Izzy kitty was recently diagnosed with cancer on her leg.

She is otherwise in good health with a stable thyroid disorder and mild kidney disease. After a lot of education and self exploration we are strongly considering amputation. Our vet is against surgery saying she is too old & has kidney disease. Our oncologist thinks she still has some quality life left. She is a very spirited cat who doesn't seem like she is 13. Has anyone had any experience with tripods that are senior kitties? Any info would be so helpful.
Thanks. Shirley

Asked by Isabel In Loving Memory on Dec 10th 2012 Tagged senior, tripod, cancer, amputation in Health & Wellness

Answers

Wow. This is a hard one. I am so sorry you have to face a decision like this. I am not a vet and can only tell you what my thoughts are. You are stuck between 2 professionals and their opinions. If your vet has cared for Izzy all her life, he knows her and can predict her recovery. On the other hand, the oncologist has experience dealing with cancers in animals and may be able to make a more educated prediction as to how she'll recover. I have a dog who's been on 3 legs all her life and she's fine, and I know animals can adapt even at 13. If I were you, I would set up a conference call between yourselves and the vets. Or at least have each detail on paper their thoughts on the surgery and then present one's ideas to the other. Age is a factor and I think your vet fears that at 91 in human years, Izzy may not recover as well as a young cat. The vets are the ones whose opinions you should take to heart. Somehow you need to get everyone on the same page and Izzy's welfare is #1. Purrs!

Taz 1989-2012

I had major abdominal surgery at ages 16 and 20. I had already been diagnosed with CRF, albeit in the early stages. Shirley, only you can judge what is best for her. I am troubled by the fact that a vet would say she is "too old" for surgery.

Taz 1989-2012 answered on 12/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cat, Tippy, passed away at age 11-1/2 years due to chronic renal failure. She was also diagnosed with spindle cell sarcoma on her left hip five months prior to her death. It was the chronic renal failure that took her life. We did manage to keep her quality of life good for 14 months after being diagnosed with CRF by giving her sub-Q fluids on a daily basis. She was very cooperative and it made her feel better. As for the spindle cell sarcoma, it is a vaccine associated cancer due to frequent immunizations. It is, however, rare in only 17 out of 10,000 cats will develop cancer at the vaccine site. (It just had to be my cat, unfortunately!) I would take your vet's advice and not have the surgery. Your cat may not be able to tolerate the anesthesia due to her kidney disease. I don't know what her kidney functions are, but your vet obviously has advised you. The only advice I can give from my own experience, is to manage the symptoms and keep kitty comfortable. Best of luck