Teddy

My 13 year old male cat is drinking a lot of water these days and peeing a lot more than he used to.What could be wrong?

Although he uses the litter box regularly, he has recently found a spot outside the box that he is peeing at approximately every other day? Teddy is neutered. Any help with this would be great. Thanks so much.

Asked by Teddy on Dec 30th 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Nike

My 2 year old male cat had been peeing right outside the littler box and in our empty laundry baskets. He even once peed in a cardboard box right in front of me. Turns out he had a urinary tract infection and after a course of antibiotics stopped peeing inappropriately. Also inquire about a blood test for diabetes since he's older and drinking a lot of water.

Nike answered on 12/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

What I think you are starting to see is some kidney failure. It happens with most cats getting into their teens. A vet could tell you with one blood test. There are medications that will slow down the failure. The peeing ouside the box is a difficult problem. Once the scent is there thats where he will always return. So you could either put a box over that spot, or block the spot with something else. We had one cat that kept going back to an area on the carpet we finally had to put in pergo in that area and she never went back.

I would get him in to see the vet right away. Drinking lots of water is the first sign of a UTI or kidney failure. The sooner you can catch these horrible diseases, the better.

I would take him to the vet to rule out kidney failure. One of my dogs had similar symptoms at that age and she was diagnosed with kidney failure. She lived for quite awhile with it. Our vet gave us prescription food for her to eat and medication. It's not a great diagnosis, but it can be managed.

Jester (1988-2007)

It could be kidney disease but I think Teddy may have diabetes as this causes cats to drink/pee a lot and also makes it more likely for them to get UTI's and pee outside their box. If it is this the vet will be able to prescribe insulin to treat him and he'll still be able to live a normal life.

Either way you need to take Teddy to the vet for an exam and some blood tests to figure out what's wrong and get him the treatment he needs.

Jester (1988-2007) answered on 12/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

ANGEL

i would take him to the vet right a way he might have devoloped diabetas dont want to wory you you should really get him checked out it might be just his age we will keep you in our prayers

ANGEL answered on 12/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lucy & Ethel

you should consider having your cat tested for diabetes. the behaviors that your cat is exhibiting are consistent with feline diabetes.

Lucy & Ethel answered on 1/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

ur cat may have a urinary tract infection..or worse still is heading for renal kidney failure. im sorry to alarm u but my 12 year old fella died from it cos i didnt get it treated on time..it is the biggest killer of mature cats particularly neutered males such as mine was. dont let ur vet be lax about it..mine didnt do enough and i lost him..get this seen to now