Alabama

my 13 year old cat meows before poop

She usually goes in the litter box and either does a little poop or not at all, then gets out and walks around and meows once or twice as if she's calling out, even if I'm right there. Then she goes and poops and it's fine, she's regular, the poops are solid and healthy, but don't look too hard.

She's done this for about a year, but tonight it worried me a little, she meowed and walked around the room in circles almost as if she was confused, I petted her and she growled, then went and pooped and was fine. Her appetite is good, she has allergies so she's just on Halo spots stew wet food and wellness wet food, dry makes her throw up, she's been off it for a few months.

Any idea what this could be? She doesn't always do it, but probably 50% to 70% of the time before she poops.

Asked by Alabama on Mar 23rd 2009 Tagged meowsbeforepoop in Senior Pet

Answers

We always recommend that if there is a sudden change in your kitty's behavior or if you have questions about their health, you should have a talk/visit with her vet. If Alabama seems like she's straining to poop or if there is any blood on it, then you absolutely need to call your vet. She may have impacted anal glands which are glands on either side of her anal opening that can become full and infected and painful. They're kind of like human hemmorhoids in that they itch and burn and can cause you to see her "scooting" on the carpet. Other than that, it sounds like this is just a routine for her. Kind of like some people who need the newspaper in the bathroom. Please, though, if you notice any more changes in her behavior, you really need to contact her doctor. She's getting up there and will need extra care and observation as she gets older.

It does sound like there is some sort of pain or discomfort when Alabama poops. And a vet visit to have her checked out would be the best idea as Izzie suggested. My little one was crying out when she used the litterbox and since we identified the intestinal parasite that was bugging her and cleared up the diarrhea, she has stopped meowing in the potty. Even if Alabama's poop looks normal to you, she appears to be having a problem you can't see. Especially if she growled at you for petting her. You are fortunate that she is still using the litterbox. The next step in trying to get the message out that she does not feel well may be to start eliminating someplace else to make a statement.

Ruckus

Yes, see an experienced vet. Surely she is communicating pain or a lot of discomfort. My people once had a cat who tore around the house after she pooped. It turned out she had a thyroid problem, and medication fixed her right up.

If Alabama has an intestinal mass or something bothering her nearby, like her bladder, perhaps it can be removed or doctored. But it may be important to treat it before it gets really bad.

Or maybe she has a more minor problem that can be easily dealt with. At any rate, surely there's something that will make her feel better.

I have a rectal prolapse - maybe because a mean boy hurt me when I was a wee kitten - so I know about painful pooping! I might need to visit several litter boxes and really work to get it out, and it may not come out all the way then. I can't tell you why, but I like to roll around in the litter box before I poop. And I like really deep litter, because I'm always convinced I'm going to need a deep hole, even when it turns out I don't.

Ruckus answered on 3/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer