Ezmeralda

My 13 year old cat has renal failure.Vet is recommending Epogen for Anemia, Is this safe? Are there any alternatives??

Labs from yesterday, compared to 3 months ago showed Bun came down from 60 to 50, creatinine same, 2.8, electrolytes all normal range, wbc, normal, Rbc dowmn from 5.7 to 5.2, HCT down from 33 to 26.7, HGB up from 10.4 to 11.7.
I am assuming this is a non regenerative Anemia as my vet reports .
She eats only canned no grain food, low carb, low phosphorus, low sodium.
I give her a b complex, Pet sun Chlorella, Probiotic with digestive enzymes and unscented salmon oil as supplements.I also give her Sub Q fluids at home, twice a week.
She has a great appetite,just drinks alot of water.

Asked by Ezmeralda on Sep 14th 2010 in Medications

Answers

Can you please repost with a question? You can use the larger box under the subject line for more space. Thanks.

First of all, does your vet know that you are giving your cat all of these supplements you mention? I had a cat with chronic renal failure and she received sub-Q fluids for 14 months, a low sodium, low protein and low phosphorous diet. Royal Canin has a good canned food prescription diet that my cat really liked. As to the epogen injections, they do help cats with anemia, but there are side effects. You need to consult with your vet about this more, especially since you are giving your cat supplements. It is good that your cat has a good appetite, and with chronic renal failure she will drink lots of water. With good veterinarian care, the right diet, plenty of fresh water and sub-Q hydration, your cat can live a good, quality life for some time. Of course, some TLC goes a long way too! I know this is a hard disease to manage. I went through it a few years ago, and my precious Tippy died on March 7, 2008. (See RainbowBridge.com)

Strangelove (1988-2006)

Based on her HCT numbers you may be better off giving iron supplements than epogen at the moment. Twin Labs iron caplets are good ones. They boosted Strangeloves HCT for a long time before her anaemia got so bad she needed to go on epogen. The issue with epogen is that after a while cats develop a kind of resistance to it and it gradually gets less effective. Sometimes this hapens after only a few months so it is best to wait until iron supplements don't work any more. I saw your other question about constipation. This is a general risk with kidney disease so if you see her stools starting to get small and hard ask your vet about lactulose or something similar to keep her stool soft. Also a little bit of canned pumpkin can help tat too.

I'm going to send you an invite to Olde Furts and have posted a link to our health thread on kidney disease which may be useful.

www.catster.com

Strangelove (1988-2006) answered on 9/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer