Tickles

My 12 y/o cat had her eye removed 3 months ago and now seems to be insecure. How I help her. she is posessive of me.

She was blinded at a few weeks old, so not having the eye was not new. She was also very quick and often caught birds. But now she bumps into doors and seems a bit disorentiated. She grooms me and sleeps on my lap or on my feet on the bed. Tickles calls me like a baby crying if she can't find me. How can I help get her confidence back?

Asked by Tickles on Oct 22nd 2013 in Senior Pet

Answers

Realize that your pet is old and that this is the beginning of the end. Regardless of not seeing, she might have been able to let in some light or shapes that she cannot rely upon anymore. DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING in the house from this point forward, or it will be bump-into city. Call out to her by sound or vibrations and let her get used to relying on her hearing only. Also ask your vet about giving half a baby aspirin a week as a preventative for strokes and brain damage. Pookie was blind and usually got around pretty well but sometimes was a little wind-up car, bumping into everything. It's not a problem until your cat can't find her food, water or litter, but don't make the mistake of thinking that she will be completely the same. Do love her as usual and if tickles seems hurt or sick, then take her in for another check-up. ^_^