My 10-month-old has an expensive habit...

Our bubba has taken to chewing on skinny wires lately. I've done a lot of research and we've tried many things: wrapping wires, making sure his diet is healthy, giving him safe chewy alternatives, natural chewing deterrents, reprimanding him (when he's caught), and keeping him busy with play and activity. He's not stressed and his teeth seem ok. We're at a loss. What should we do?

Asked by Member 1208324 on Jan 8th 2014 Tagged chewing, wires in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Once I went to put my ipod on and Pookie had chewed through the wires. She was an only cat at the time. I am guessing that your cat is an only cat too, because a bored kitty is a destructive kitty. You need to provide a more satisfying environment when you are not home. This means purchasing a cat condo for vertical napping space with a good view, a wall-mounted scratcher, a doorknob scratcher, more cheap toys, playing instrumental music while you are out, buying the Cat Sitter DVD for him to watch while you are not home, catnip and treats. Cord covers from the computer store are a must to save expensive damage from occurring. If he is not neutered, the procedure will calm him down as well. ^_^