my13 yeat has always been indoor with balcony now living in house with garden and she wants to go beyond that will I los

Will I lose her. She is neutered and has a sister that does not want to roam,

Asked by Member 1156126 on Feb 20th 2013 Tagged indooroutdoorcat in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Writing as someone who has lost 2 cats outdoors, one to cars and the other....a mystery...I would say, keep her in. She is an elderly kitty and not wise in the ways of the out of doors where she may encounter unfriendly creatures and people and situations where she may no longer be fast and/or agile enough to avoid them. There is no way to really predict whether or not you will "lose", her, but I wouldn't take the chance.

I have to agree with the person who said they would not, but I understand your dilemma. My sister did let her elderly cat out, and she never did roam far, she was lucky. But with a cat who is not street smart, she is likely to encounter a car or a dog. I bought a pop up dog crate, it is like a tent and has mesh sides, and zips up completely. I put my cats in it on the back porch, when we are out there with her, so they can get some fresh air. That's an idea. I always am wishing I had a big outside cat pen that they could be in, so they could enjoy outdoors, and grass, and still be contained. On the other hand, I do know someone who did decide to let his cat out, same age as yours, and he did fine, he contained himself to around the house. Sorry...I know I did not help, ugh!!!

She's always been indoors so she should stay there. She doesn't know the ways of the outdoors & you never know when she could run off suddenly.

Purdy

Some cats will be fine and won't wander, others are not so bright. I would say if you do let her out - make sure she's microchipped, &has a collar so people know she belongs to somebody if she does wander off(flexible or quick releasein case she gets caught on something).You can also get 'trackers' that you can use from a PC/smartphone/laptop which show you where your cat is - they vary in price from cheap and basic to sophisticated and costly. Personally - the worry of waiting for mine to come home each time she went out of my sight lead me to keep her indoors. I stressed too much and the nearby road worried me. You could also speak to your neighbours and let them know who your cat is, and to keep an eye out for her in their garden -that way if she sits sunning herself elsewhere for hours you won't be worried as they can tell you that's where she is. If you have a garden that lends itself to a fence you can fit one with a 45 degree angle at the top - cats cant get out of that.

Purdy answered on 4/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer