Austin Valentino loving memory

Moving to new home

Hello all
We are moving to a new home many miles from our current home and I need to know a couple of things….how to keep my cat comfy for the 4 hour drive and how to keep him from spraying the new home. Sydney was a stray many years ago….so he wasn't neutered until we adopted him and the Vet thought he was already 2-3 years old…..anyway, at the time we had two other cats and Sydney sprayed everywhere…we even let him outside so he wouldn't feel trapped but that didn't stop him. Now we are moving and on top of that we recently lost the 2nd of my two original cats….not that my cat was buddies with our current Sydney but I am concerned that with his loss and then moving from the only home Syd has had and knows both inside and out he will revert back to spraying…and it is the horrible urine smell…not just ammonia smell. Thank you.

Asked by Austin Valentino loving memory on Jan 2nd 2014 Tagged moving, sprayingindoors in Behavior & Training

Answers

Move him in a secure carrier that is sturdy and will not move with the car. Take away his water 6 hours before the ride so that he will not need to pee in the crate. Drive straight through to make it easier for the cats. Before you let them out of their transport crates, make sure their water, food and litter is all in place. When you let them out of the carriers, show them where all three of these things are. If you did not get a chance to set up yet, the cats go in the bathroom until the major furniture is in. Then let them out to explore and first show them where their regular food, water and litter are located. Place toys and things that smell like them around the home so it smells like them, and good luck! Spray calming spray in the crates and/or bathroom before confining the cats to them. Have a urine remover and blacklight on hand in case your cat does revert to spraying... hopefully it would be temporary, but there's no way to predict his specific reaction. ^_^

South Florida Familia

I will be moving from Florida to North Carolina this year with 4 cats so I've been doing a lot of research and asking friends who have have made long distance moves with cats.

I recommend you get Rescue Remedy for animals (alcohol free), it's a natural stress reliever, it's liquid and you can start putting in their water bowls a week before the move to help de-stress. The day you move, rub some on their ears or their gums.

Take a washcloth and rub it on their cheeks then put the washcloth inside a ziploc bag. When you get to the new house and before you let the cats out of the safe room, rub the washcloth with their scents on the wall edges where they would normal ly rub their faces to leave their scent. When you let them out of the safe room, they will smell their scent on the wall edges and feel more relaxed.

Get Feliway spray and spray it in their carriers before putting the cats in them and also spray it a couple of times during the move.

Good luck!

South Florida Familia answered on 1/5/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I am agree with Familia. But I would like to tell you that you should consult with the vet as onle vet can tell you that what should you suppose to do.