Moving into a new house with my indoor only cat, but my new roommate has indoor/outdoor cat. How do I keep my cat in?

Hi! Here are the details:
My cat is 20+ years old, spayed female, declawed front paws, wears a collar, not micro chipped, and is STRICTLY indoors only.

My soon-to-be-roommate's cat is 2 years old, spayed female, has all her claws, does not wear a collar, is micro chipped, and is allowed to come and go from open windows/doors whenever she pleases.

My question is how can my cat live in this new house with this other cat, and NOT get outside? I looked at some electronic cat doors that can read my roommate's cat's micro chip, but unless I misunderstood, those doors only prevent the wrong cat from coming back IN. They don't prevent a specific cat from going OUT. (Unless you lock it closed for both of them which defeats the purpose.)

What should I do? Is there a cat door that can do what I need: Prevent my cat from going outside, but allow her cat to come and go as she pleases? Or is there a better idea instead?

Asked by Member 1101009 on Mar 19th 2012 Tagged catdoors, outdoorcat, indoorcat, moving, roommate in Pet Products

Answers

Your Senior Lady may not be interested in going out, but an open door or window is hard to resist (and also lets in a lot of unwanted bugs and other undesirables.)So, the first course of action is to ask your new roomate to please not leave windows/doors open. Call around to some of the national pet containment systems' offices in your area. I'm not familiar with what new products they have, but they can advise you on the best product to use to keep your cat inside and also explain how they work. When Ernie was around, he'd go out for the day and only come back in at night. He'd hang around the back yard sometimes but wouldn't often come in and out of the house too many times unless I called him. Your new roommate's cat may be the same way.

Mitchell

Yup! You can get a Sure Flap door: www.sureflap.com

This has been improved for 4-way locking, meaning your outside cat can get in or go out, and your inside cat will not be able to exit.

In fact, my mom is going to be integrating this door into her cat product sometime in the next year. Right now the ones we use require a collar, but technology is making it possible for all us felines to have a choice in the matter!

Mitchell answered on 3/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer