Mother cat 4, trying to hurt son cat 3 out of the blue!

I have a mother cat who is at least 4 years old and her son who is now 3. She's an even tempered tortie and he is a red tabby. Last night, I noticed her chasing him and its like she's out for blood. All of a sudden they cannot be in proximity to one another without her going after him...fur raised and tail puffed. I kept them apart overnight and first thing she went after him again! I noticed the back door opened last night before the attack and thought he got into something she didn't like but I've cleaned him up and she's still after him. Totally not like her but its like she forgot he's her son. I'm not sure what to do? Its too early to call the vet yet.

Asked by Member 1141038 on Nov 17th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

If your cats are not both "fixed", you need to have this done or the behavior will continue. I'm pretty sure that animals don't recognize their offspring AS their offspring and that's why fathers will mate with daughters, mothers with sons, etc. If your cats go outside, they could very well be coming back smelling not so great and this could be what's causing the fighting. Or, one might not be feeling well and that can cause attacks as well. It's not normal for 2 cats who previously have gotten along to suddenly start fighting. There's usually some issue, physical or mental, going on, and only the vet can help you figure out what it might be.