Bear

More info on my sis-in-law (for 'My sister-in-law is getting a kitten soon...)

I obviously didn't make myself clear with my last question. They are travelling by car, ALL the apartments on and around the military base allow pets under 25 pounds, they're getting a kitten before they leave because it is from her aunt's cat, so they know the medical history that much better. I told her to get it microchipped and tagged BEFORE they leave and use her parents' address until theirs is known and change it asap after the move, and not to take the kitten until it's chipped. My sis-in-law will be home much of the time until January at the earliest. I told her to get the carrier before they got the kitten and get a small one so it wouldn't get rattled. Keep it in the carrier at all times. She's taking him to the vet before they leave, the kitten will be about 4 months old by then. They've already put a downpayment on the apartment as well, so it's guaranteed to be theirs, no matter when they arrive because of a military hold.

Asked by Bear on Jun 18th 2010 in Other Travel & Recreation

Answers

Maggie

I have a friend who moved from the East to West coast and transported her cats with her in the car. I know she mentioned that she needed to check at the hotels for any little place the cat could get itself into and hide because one of them got itself up inside the heater and they lost a couple of hours of travel time getting it out. I am not sure if they can microchip so young. It's a big nasty needle and my vet had suggested doing mine while they were in to be spayed so it wouldn't hurt.I chose not to do it at all. When I got Maggie it was a long drive home from PA so I had a disposable litterbox and water to offer her at rest stops (we were securely locked in my suv while she was out of her carrier)but she was not interested in anything. Still not a bad idea to have just in case. Moving can be scary for them so when she gets there, she should confine it to one room for a few days especially if the house is in chaos until they get settled.

Maggie answered on 6/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, and make sure to be very vigilant about the heat factors in the car and outside. NEVER leave the kitten alone in the car. Even take it into the ladies room with her if she has to (in the carrier, of course)

I can understand that your brother and sister-in-law would want to adopt a kitten from your aunt's cat's litter. I would get an I.D. tag with the kitten's name and your brother's cell phone number just in case something happens. I can't stress it enough how important it is to keep this kitten in a carrier AT ALL TIMES WHILE TRAVELING IN THE CAR. I would use a larger cat carrier, rather than a small one, with a disposable cat litter box (which another poster recommended). This way there is a minimal amount of time that the kitten should be out of the carrier. The kitten actually should not be out of the carrier until they are in a hotel room or their final destination home. This would be the best way to make sure that the kitten cannot escape. It will be stressed from driving and will be confused. Also, your brother and his wife need to check and see about age appropriate vaccines before traveling. In PA, a kitten must have a rabies vaccine by age 12 weeks. Hope this helps.