Daphne

Mommy cat not keeping her baby clean, 2nd question

Thank you so much for the replies. So far so good, it seems she may just be tired, their stools look good and it seems she is cleaning the baby off now. It is somewhat random there were 2 (other) different babies that were not clean so we stepped in and helped and now things seem fine. I am giving her as much high quality moist and dry kitten food as she likes.
I am going to give her some KMR, I think that is a good idea.
I have noticed now and again a kitty going off to the end of the bathroom to urinate, I have not provided them with a litter pan as of yet not wanting them to eat the litter and they have not been eating on their own as of yet, just nursing.
Though I am wondering if she may have conceived the kitties days apart, the one peeing is larger than the others and walking pretty good, is it possible she may be a fast developer and need a litter pan already? They seem to be between 10 day and 3 weeks. Their eyes are open but ears are not straight up.

Asked by Daphne on Nov 10th 2008 in Fostering a Pet

Best Answer

Just like with children, even kittens from the same family will develop at different rates, but it's possible that they do have different fathers or were conceived at different times. I'd definitely put a low-sided pan in the corner where she pees. I've never seen kittens eat litter as long as they have enough food and mom to keep them full, but you sound like you're right on top of the situation, so I'm sure you'll be right there if it does happen :-) Didn't you say you were fostering these guys? You can always call the rescue you're fostering for. Most have senior fosters on board who've seen everything that can happen with litters and can advise you or even stop by to make sure everything is OK.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Nov 11th.

Answers

They could have been conceived a few days apart as female cats will mate with several different tom cats over a few days to make sure they conceive. It's common for kittens in the same litter to have different fathers. Gogo was from a litter of six containing 2 kittens that obviously had a siamese dad and looked totally different than the others.

If one kitten is peeing away from the bed/nest its probably time to provide a litter pan. I think the posters on the previous question gave you good advice on the type of litter pan and litter that is good to use with new kittens.