Ringo

Manx/Siamese mix aggression problems

I have a Manx Siamese mix that is a little over a year and a half old. We bought him from a very loving family and he was a very sweet loving kitten, the only one left in the litter that appeared to be fully Manx to the eye. He is sill very loving and sweet but, my Father played really rough with him when he was small, so now Ringo is a very violent kitty cat. He often though smaller attacks and bites my older cat Kenji who is much larger. If you walk by a chair that might be high up he will wrap around your arm and bite, he is declawed so he cannot scratch. When you try to pick him up he actually snaps at you and will not let go. He is a very hyper active cat and does all this biting it seems in play he never growls when he does this, just springs off to run over all the furniture and run past you several times before coming back to lay down near you. I was wondering if there is anyway we can tone down the biting part a bit I know he was taught it as a kitten so is it to late?

Asked by Ringo on Jul 13th 2009 Tagged hyper, biting, loving, playful, agressive in Socialization

Answers

It is possible to disclipline a cat. First of all, the "rough play" has to stop. Speak with your father and tell him that. If you see him start to play rough with Ringo, remove Ringo from the room. You can also do this when Ringo starts to get aggressive with you or Kenji. Ignore him. If you can pick him up, put him in a room by himself for a short "time out" until he calms down. If he bites and/or claws, throw a towel over him and pick him up that way. Do NOT hit him or yell at him. If he is a VERY hyper cat, you may need to speak with your vet about possibly putting him on meds for his hyperactivity. You don't want him to one day bite and/or claw the wrong person and wind up with a lawsuit against you.

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds

I just wanted to add that there is a fine line between aggression and excitement. My little destroyer of worlds bites and scratches, but only when she gets excited. If I'm ignoring her and she's had a chance to run around and tire herself out (she has two other kittens and many toys with which to do this), she comes to me and is the sweetest thing ever. I'm not saying you should get more cats, but your boy's problems sound like Binx's before she got her brother and sister to play with. She simply got bored. It was obnoxious, but I figured out that if I played fetch with her for a while in the morning and around afternoon time, she was a happier, calmer cat.

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds answered on 7/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have a Siamese/Manx mix that was abandoned; he was about 5 mos when found. He's gorgeous but extremely aggressive when first found. I assume this is why he was abandoned. It took about 6-7 mos to get him to calm down. I did this by first not showing fear (he would viciously attack with tooth and nail), by talking to him, & by punishing him for his behavior by ignoring him which he hates. When he was sweet and loving I praised and petted him. I had to tell friends not to pet him as he could turn on them in a moment. As long as they didn't pet him he was fine.

He now understands & obeys "no" and "let go" and that I'm alpha cat. He loves people & mirrors their emotions. If they're upset he can be aggressive. If they're calm he ends up in their lap. He has a lot of energy & races around like crazy. It took a lot of time & patience but worth it. He's extremely smart & loyal. From what I hear this mix isn't for everyone. I'm sure he would have ended up euthanized if I hadn't taken him in