Mia

Litter to outdoors?

My cat has been litter box trained since I adopted her almost a year ago, but I want to train her to potty outdoors. I have a general idea of how to teach her, but I'm concerned she will have accidents when we aren't home to let her out immediately. Some tips pupils definitely be appreciated!

Asked by Mia on May 26th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

My blind cat trained herself to go on pee pads like a dog. You should keep one litter box in the house and put a doggie pee post outside in the back of the yard, and have your cat smell it. Although cats do not have as good of a sense of smell as dogs, they still have better smell than humans. Your cat will not go outside when it is raining, so if you completely take away the box your home will eventually smell like cat pee from accidents. ^_^ Inside cats also have twice the lifespan of outside cats.