Licking/gnawing and now has balding spots around her rectum/lwr tail and scabs under her chin. What causes this? Cure?

Asked by Member 1082249 on Jan 5th 2012 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

It could be any number of things and your best bet is to see the vet since she has already chewed herself to bald spots. It may be fleas, ringworm, allergies, or even emotional issues. If you do not treat your cat for fleas, I would start with that. Mine got them last year after my newest came on a plane from Florida and I did not see any signs of fleas myself until they started biting me. I recommend Revolution because it kills several parasites in addition to fleas but that does require a trip to the vet.

Allie is right. Without knowing what the cause of the irritation/chewing is, it can't be treated or a cure expected. The only one who can tell for sure is your vet who can then prescribe medication. It's possible she has what Catsters call "chin acne" which comes from using plastic food/water dishes. The issues with her tail could be impacted anal glands. Is she scooting her bottom? Your vet will most likely take skin scrapings to check for mange, ringworm and other feline skin irritations. Don't use home remedies on her as, without knowing what it is, at the least it won't help and at the most it could get worse.