Kittens sleeping in litter box...

I'm on my third litter now. The first time, I thought Momcat would teach the kittens how to use the litter box, but then I started finding puddles in mysterious places and tiny tootsie rolls all over. So, I put them in the kitten playpen, and put each kitten in the litter box after each meal. They finally figured it out, but it took a while. Then my own breeder told me that I should put Momcat in the playpen with them. That worked well with Chibi, but Leila's latest (The Stupendous Six) are not getting it at all. Leila, of course, uses the litter box in the playpen, and occasionally I find a tootsie roll in there, but most of the tootsie rolls are OUTSIDE of the litter box. And when the litter box doesn't have a big offering from Leila, the kittens sleep there. I would put in a cat bed, but the last time I did that, they started using the cat bed for a toilet. Help! (BTW, they're a little over a month old now, and both eating solid food and nursing.)

Asked by Lola on Dec 29th 2009 in Methods of Training

Answers

They are a little mixed up aren't they?
Maybe you could try some litter box attractant. Here is some that is "guaranteed" to work!
www.petfooddirect.com

Is the box small, sized right for kittens? Maybe you could try a brand new box or a different box that smells like bathroom. I don't mean dirty but you know they have such sensitive noses.
I think I would take the bed out of the playpen. Maybe that would force them to use the litter box.
Hope some others might have some good ideas for you.
Good luck!

Your babies are still pretty young and they get confused really easily. They probably think the litter box IS their bed. They have no "ewwww!" factor in their lives and sleeping in poo and pee doesn't upset them in the least. Make sure the litter box has really low sides. They may be sleeping in the box because they feel like they're "hiding" in here if it has high sides. I've trained kittens in a foil pizza pan! Instead of a cat bed (that may look at lot like a litter box to the babies) try something they can climb and play on, that doesn't look anything like a box. They may sleep on it rather than in the box. I got a tubular cat plaything at my local pet store (you could probably find one on the 'net) that couldn't be mistaken for a litter box. You may also have to concentrate a whole lot on litter box training since Leila might need some help with that.