Kittens being difficult with food. What am I supposed to feed them? Advice needed from veteran cat owners!

I have two kittens 4-5 months. I have been feeding them two kinds of canned food (for variety), EVO and Innova, twice a day and dry food to be available at all times (iams—which I'm waiting to finish the bag and switch to better brand). I have also been feeding them raw meat and fish in chunks when available.

Aloo only eats a tiny bit of wet food and seems to nibble on dry food throughout. She has a hard time chewing chunks of meat larger than quarter inch big but does fine with canned food. She is small and doesn't eat very much. She is good with drinking water.

Billi loves raw meat and eats them like a wild animal. He likes canned food as well, and he always "buries" food after he is finished.

Today, I fed them EVO canned food in the AM as usual. They refused to eat it! Billi tried to bury it. After I came home, the food was still there. I tossed it and fed them another brand one. Aloo ate a bit, but Billi refused that one too!

What am I supposed to do? Wait for them to eat?

Asked by Member 1153973 on Feb 6th 2013 Tagged food, finickyeater in Pet Food

Answers

I have often thought of taking my adult cats to the store, opening a can of food and asking "You like this one? How about THIS one?" and there is no guarantee that what they approve of one day, they'll eat the next. Cats can be finicky about the expensive stuff just as easily as the "cheap". I wonder if you aren't offering them too much variety? I've never fed raw, so I can't really give an opinion. My cats free feed dry food as well. They "graze" all day. They get 1/3 of a small can almost as a treat in the AM and PM. The vet is happy with them so I don't change things around. My son maintains that cats won't let themselves starve and as long as your babies are healthy, active and into everything as kittens should be, I wouldn't stress out. However, if they haven't been to a vet (I'm sure they have, but I feel obligated to say this) make sure they do go in for altering, shots, and diet advice from a professional. Considering joining Catster...we LOVE baby pictures!!!