Kitten whines and then attacks me?

I have a 5 month old male not-neutered yet kitten, I got him at 8 weeks and found out his mother abandoned him. Since he was 2-3 months he has been attacking me more and more. I don't understand, we could be playing or maybe we aren't even interacting, he will come up and sit and stare at me with a swinging tail, then whine (it's not a normal meow) and then he will suddenly attack me. I don't think this is petting or play aggression. I have tried to deter this in many ways, I've tried to interrupt it before it happens (distract his attention, or just say no, both just set him off), "punish" him after it happens by scruffing him or putting him into a different room, or maybe clapping, all of these make him very angry and make my injuries worse.

Anyway I am a college student I definitely feel like he has gotten worse since I got a new job. I can't get a new kitten and frankly don't want to, I don't think he will respond well. Does anyone have a solution or even just an explanation?

Asked by Member 1212151 on Feb 20th 2014 Tagged kitten, attack, biting in Aggression

Answers

He is upset that you are gone, he wants to play, and he is not neutered. The combination of these three must be frustrating for the poor guy. Now that you're working, set him up for a neutering appointment. Make sure that you have off from work on the day that you pick him up. Also feed him a healthy kitten food like Natural Choice, and buy him extra toys and a cat tree to occupy himself with when you are not at home. ^_^