Kitten and Cords?

So i have a 7 month old cat who gets at the wires. I have blocked them off for a while now he hasnt been able to get at them. But the last few days he has been able to figure out how to get behind it. I am not sure if he is getting at the cords but I am sure he is because he likes to at my phone cord and sense I cant see him I dont want to risk it. I have the front of the TV table blocked off and the sides and top openings covered.. He still gets threw them. and going back to the same spot to get in even when I recover it

I have used pepper to keep him off of the desk to see if it would work but he sneezed a couple time and didnt like the taste but keep going back. I have also used Bitter apple and that helped but I have noticed it didnt last long on the cord and he would go back.. I am not sure if i should but the cords in a cord holder, bucket with over to keep him from getting at them.. I dont have any other room to stick him in and the bathroom is not a room he wants to be in.

Asked by Member 1168540 on Aug 2nd 2013 Tagged cords in Behavior & Training

Answers

You definitely need a cord holder and a cat friend. Your cat is bored and still a kitten; she only knows what is interesting and chewy. Block off that area- there are training deterrents for dogs you can buy that make a sound in a restricted area so the cat will know not to go there. Also get her more toys and leave treats in some hidden places that she can find. Getting her a friend to play with (baby boy kitten) is a best bet... it worked for me! ^_^

Panda's right. It sounds like your cat is bored. Sometimes though, because of financial considerations, adding another cat is not an option. The other cat will need to be spayed/neutered and vetted and that can run into money. A friend went to an aquarium supply store (or a local pet shop) and bought those clear air hoses that are used to aerate the aquarium. She carefully cut down the length and put it over her cords. It's harder to chew through than the phone charger or regular electric cords. It's also possible that your cat is teething. If he has no other chew toys (they do make greenies or chewies for cats that taste better than cords) he's using the cords.