Kit Kat

Kit Kat refuses to groom himself and has stopped using his litter box.

For the past year or so i have noticed a decline in Kit Kats grooming habits. I thought it was because of his smelly breath (i wouldnt want to bath in that stink either), but its slowly gotten worse. His breath has become putrid, and one of his fangs fell out. I had to shave him a few times because his nice long fur had become a 'trutle shell'. After shaving him, he has perked up quite a bit and is like a kitten again. It was looking good. Until he quit cleaning his rear. Now he is constantly walking around with poopy butt, and wont sit still long enough for me to properly clean him. im trying the best i can just a bit at a time. Most recently he has started peeing all around the house. Apparently moving the litter box is not an option, i have tried talking to my parents until im blue in the face about moving his box out of the laundry room in the basement to no avail.
I know your all going to say take him to the vet, and i plan to. as soon as i have the money (june) he will be going.

Asked by Kit Kat on Feb 18th 2014 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I'd take your cat to your vet ASAP! The breath situation is indicative of a health problem. He probably has cavities and his mouth hurts. Call your vet and see if he/she can help you out - don't wait until June!

Have there been changes near his litter box? If you've changed litter boxes, litter brand or added things that smell or make noise, that might be putting him off his litter box. Try setting things back to normal or try putting it in a quieter place. Cats do love their privacy - that's why they even hide their poop and pee - they don not wish to be noticed.

Any other changes in his environment might have also stressed him out. Wash the places he's peed on with a cleaning agent especially made for cat urine. Some cleaning products only cause the stink to increase or they cause the smell to become permanently impregnated.

If you haven't made any changes, then that's more reason to call your vet. Try to arrange something. Do not wait till June!

It makes me sad to read that your folks won't help you out with the family's cat. Talk to your vet about a payment plan, or find a new one who will work with you... this is why establishing credit is important for young people. If you wait that long and he has an infection, it could cost you hundreds of dollars in bills and effect your cat's life span. Use cat wipes to wipe his butt, and he definitely needs dental work or his teeth would not be falling out. He probably has periodontal disease also, which leads to other health problems when left untreated. ^_^

Does your vet take Care Credit? You could also check with your local SPCA,feline rescue group, or Humane Society to see if they can help. Some provide or know where you can access low cost vet care that will likely work with you. In any case you need to get him to vet. Both my husband and I are also on a limited income and have had to do exactly this to get care for our pets. It sounds like he has periodontal disease with an underlying kidney or liver problem. I hope you are able to get to the root of your kittys problem and he feels better soon.

SHADOWFOOT

u kitty needs to go to the vet. bad breath can be caused by teeth problems which could affect his eating and grooming, but can also be the warning sign of other health problems

SHADOWFOOT answered on 2/27/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

More Questions in This Category