Honey

Just wondering if there is a good way to train my cat not to suck on my ear lobe.

I had a feral cat Fred that sucked on my ear lobe as a kitten. I understood why and although I didn't hate it it just kind of strange. I understood it was soothing for him and he was taken from his mother too soon. He did outgrow it and found other ways to love up on me.
The problem is that Honey saw him doing it and started herself. She was fully weaned when I got her. I would prefer if she would just snuggle up with out sucking on my ear lobe. I would be very embarrassed to have someone see me with my cat sucking on my ear lobe. I'd like to get her to change this behavior but It's also our special time together so I'd like to have her replace it with something else. She's over three years old now so I'm hoping it's not too late. I've also got another kitten now and I would hate for him to start this behavior too.
By the way she is very persistent when I cover up my ears she licks on my eyelids and nuzzles up pushing my hands, hair and head out of the away so she can suck.

Asked by Honey on Mar 31st 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

A lot of people think this is a reallyendearing habit their cat has. I'm not one of them. I've heard that if you apply underarm deodorant to the part of your body the cat is using for a faux nipple, it will turn them off. It doesn't taste really good so I doubt if they'll injest enough of it to make them sick. You can also offer blankies, towel, stuffed animals, etc. to take the place of your earlobe.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Apr 1st.

Answers

Harvey

This is a good example of how cats learn from each other--both good habits and bad. Bitter apple repels cats, but I wonder if it would be harmful to apply to your skin. Maybe you could think of something else with an unappealing odor/taste that you could apply--something non-toxic to cats, of course. However, it sounds like Honey will then go for your eyelids, and I wouldn't recommend putting anything on them. Hmm. Harvey sniffs my eyelids when I'm sick (I think he's trying to figure out if I'm dead), or when we're in a hotel room and he feels unsettled. But he doesn't lick them. I hope some other Catsters have better advice.

Harvey answered on 4/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer