Just took in a stray cat. How do we integrate new cat with old dog?

Asked by Member 1150481 on Jan 17th 2013 Tagged introducingnewstraycattoolddog in Behavior & Training

Answers

First of all, make sure you take the cat to the vet's. I don't know of anything other than fleas, intestinal parasites or ringworm that can be passed from cats to dogs and even humans, but before you expose the cat to your elderly dog, you need to be sure he's OK (and fixed). Not feeling well and not being neutered or spayed can make a cat "cranky". Cats and dogs are not natural enemies. I have 2 dogs and 3 cats and for the most part, life is peaceful. When I bring a new cat home, I designate a spare room as a 'safe room' for the cat. There is a box, food, water and a "hidey spot" like a closet or under a bed for the cat. I put a baby gate with a cat-sized hole cut into it in the door and anchor it. If your dog's a leaper, you might want to use one gate on top of the other. This way, the cat can get into the room for safety, but the dog can't.Reassure the dog that he/she is still loved and #1. Don't yell at him/her for chasing. Let the cat explore and find hideouts in your home.