Just put down my 5 m/o cat to FIP. He has a surviving pal. When is the right time to adopt another and what age is best?

Asked by Member 1153555 on Feb 4th 2013 Tagged adoption, multiplecats, death in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Bowski

I am so sorry for your loss! We went through the same thing a couple months ago, with our baby girl, and it was truly heart-wrenching.

FIP does not live long in the household itself. Since our cat was our only pet, we just had to do a thorough cleaning of bedding and throw out her toys/bowls/litter box.

However, there is debate about whether it can be "shed" or transferred to another cat (through shared litterboxes or bowls). I've read that the recommended length of time is six months, and that the new pet should be at least a year old so its immune system is fully developed.

Since FIP is such a tricky thing, I would call your vet to confer. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Bowski answered on 2/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer