Just got a rescued 4 month old Persian Kitten. She had never ever been groomed.

Any suggestions how to introduce a regime for the rather delicate areas i.e tummy, legs.

Asked by Member 937716 on Jan 12th 2010 in Home Grooming

Answers

Currier

Argh. Ask Allie, who is the Persian expert. I am a Maine Coon breeder, so only know about how to groom MCs. First: shampoo. I'd avoid a medicated or conditioner contained shampoo (this is standard for MCs, but perhaps not for Persians). When I give my MCs show baths, they go through up to six shampoos and conditioners. The first step is always Groomer's Goop--not Goop, but a product for animals. This gets out the grease and enhances the white. The second step is dishwashing detergent--it's guaranteed to be non-toxic, and gets out the grease. I don't know anything about shampooing Persians, but always be sure to rinse thoroughly.
Then you have to dry your cat--you can let it lick itself dry, or use a space heater facing a cage, or use a blow dryer. My previous cats tolerated the blow dryer, but a few days ago one of my queens gave me such severe bites that I've had antibiotic IVs and am still on oral antibiotics. Be careful.

Currier answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Yep. Allie's mom is the one to ask. I only know that for my Brat Boy (Izzie) I started getting him used to the comb, brush and nail clippers early on. I didn't force the issue because he can still be a, well, brat about it, biting the comb, horsing around, etc. Grooming any cat (or dog) takes patience and perseverence!

I would start with introducing claw trimming. Mine tend to try to grab the comb if I pull any hair so it's safer that way. I wear gloves with Chelsea because she bites. It is very important to use a metal comb regularly to avoid mats. At least once a week. Persians have an undercoat so their thick hair gets mats around the ears, armpits and belly easily. Brushes do not get to the undercoat at all and are pretty useless. Comb the back and easy areas gently to show her that it feels good first before tackling any mats. Use your fingers to try to gently pull apart the mats before taking a comb to them. NEVER use scissors! I learned the hard way and cut my Bailey badly. If you pull a mat, the skin forms a tent and you can cut right through without realizing it. Just do a little at a time until she gets used to the idea. Give treats and loving in between so it's a happy time for her. They also have a tendency to get poo stuck on their backside. You can give butt only baths for that.

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q)

What ever you do be calm, gentle, reward and praise good behavior and best of luck.

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q) answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If she's got matted fur now you don't want to start her off with a bad experience of grooming. Take her to a vet or a groomer and get her fur trimmed to about half and inch long and all the mats removed. The short fur will make combing/brushing easy and enjoyable for your kitten.

Grooming a little bit at a time and giving her a treat every time you groom her will also help.

Keeping her fur trimmed short will work longer term if she doesn't take to the grooming. When I was a kid we had a chinchilla persian cat Daisy who hated to be groomed. We'd get her trimmed once or twice a year so her fur would start at about a half inch and grow out to a 1.5 - 2 inches. At that length she could groom herself pretty well and tolerated us brushing/combing her regularly.