I've had my cat for about six months, we got him when he was a kitten. He is extremely violent.

When I try to pet him he latches on and bites and scratches. I understand that cats play bite,but this doesn't feel like play. I love him, but am getting very frustrated, and don;t understand what I'm doing wrong.

Asked by Member 1156184 on Feb 20th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

Joey

First try not to play with your kitten with your hands - sometimes kittens will think it's okay to bite fingers while they are playing. If your kitty has aggressive tendencies you need to take the time to try and find the trigger for the aggression. A trip to the vet is a good idea to rule out anything medical - it could be medical - and then keep a journal when these attacks happen so you can see if there is a pattern. My cat Joey is aggressive and we have all but eliminated the attacks and have a loving relationship. You need to figure out what is setting your kitty off then you can use techniques to stop the behavior. A firm NO! and then leaving the room works sometimes - some people actually make the mistake of praising the behavior by trying to be affectionate when you need to be firm. Patience, time and observation - don't give up on your kitty. Good luck.

Joey answered on 2/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer