i have a 1 year old kitten and she "eats" and chews on my hair.........Is that normal?

Asked by Member 566595 on Feb 4th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cleo (The Queen)

MOL sounds like she is trying to groom you-I LOVE doing that, but it is harder with the girls-they are long haired, but my daddy only has a little hair, so it is easier.

Cleo (The Queen) answered on 2/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A friend's kitty (a rescue that she adopted at 3 weeks and had to bottle feed) also did that and probably still does. It's not something every cat does, but it is a way to comfort themselves. My friend's cat also chewed on her ear lobes and fingers. She's just looking for a little lovin'from her Meowmie! Of course, don't let her actually "eat" your hair as that can cause blockages you don't want to deal with.

CrazyKitty

Yes it is even CrazyKitty does that! He loves to do that! In the mornings he likes to chew on my head and hair.Your cat must be telling you he loves you!

CrazyKitty answered on 2/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I like to "make biscuits" in my Mommy's hair at night. I sit behind her head while she's in her recliner and go to town. We both love it! :D

Zoe

I do this to my mom, and it drives her crazy! Sometimes I pull a little too hard when I'm chewing MOL

Zoe answered on 2/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Emma Lynn

Its totally normal! Emma loves to sneak attack my hair when I'm blow drying it! Just make sure she doesnt chew too much on your hair and end up swallowing it...thats no fun! maybe try getting her a fuzzy toy or one with feathers... just make sure you keep an eye on her when shes playing with them in case she rips one off!

Emma Lynn answered on 2/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Callie

Cats chewing on hair is completly normal! I have 3 cats and they all love hair too. Cats chew on hair mostly because they think it's some sort of toy. If you don't like her chewing on your hair, then a bit of scolding will make her understand that it's not acceptable. Cats are also very big on texture and your hair might taste very interesting to her.

Callie answered on 2/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nala

3 of my children (not kittens anymore) do that all the time! One time one of my owners woke up with half of his head wet with cat spit! MOL! He took a LONG shower after that!

Nala answered on 2/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buddy

My kitty does this to me too EVERY morning like clockwork! He gets on top of my pillow and chews at my hair and rips at it with his claws. I just think he is trying to wake me up because he wants to play :) If I don't pay attention to him he tries to go underneath the covers and attack my arms and legs. I think that I have gone through about 20 comforters because he has shredded the sides of them from him scratching trying to get underneath to get to me. The funny thing is though he will NEVER do that to my husband. I love him though. He is adorable.

Buddy answered on 2/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer