Alecto

Is tortie-tude real? My tortie kitten is difficult, and doesn't like a lot of affection. What can I do?

I've read a lot that tortoiseshell cats can be really unique and difficult. Can they grow out of that, or are they always that way?

Asked by Alecto on Sep 18th 2007 Tagged torties, tortoiseshell in Socialization

Best Answer

Sunshine - Sweet Angel

I have had torti's that are love bugs and that are aloof...just as with other kits. Don't force the attention..play with her with a toy, then pick her up and cuddle and pet for just a minute, then put her right back down..alot of times they just need to know they are going to be able to romp some more after the petting..you might also just run your hands from head to tip of tail everytime you walk by without picking her up...she may like attention, just not being picked up. Everykitty is different.

Sunshine - Sweet Angel answered on Sep 18th.

Answers

Lucky- My Angel forever, RIP

Right now I have two tortie sisfurs and I have to say that Tortie-Tude is 100% real!! My oldest still acts like a crazy kitten! The youngest is like yours and doesn't like affection but meowmy just gives her space and loves on her when she'll allow it. Just give your girl some space and time.

Lucky- My Angel forever, RIP answered on 9/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jonnie Harriet Rocket

Naughty Torties is what they are called. I've seen it!!

Jonnie Harriet Rocket answered on 9/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hattie

Hee hee hee! My human knew a tortoiseshell kitty who wouldn't come out to visit anyone who came to the house -- but my human! The tortie, Medusa, was very aloof and only wanted affection on her own terms. So, maybe it's just a matter of allowing Alecto to select when she wants to be affectionate.

Hattie answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

CAMILLE ROSE (Forever Loved)

When my Mommy goes to cat shows, a lot of times, the judges mention the "red" gene when referring to torties, torbies (patched tabbies) and calicos. They are like candy bars - a little bit sweet and a little bit nuts. They can be purring and nose-kissing you and all of a sudden they get a cattitude and maybe even hiss. I figure if anybody knows, it'll be a cat show judge and they say it's true. I'm a torbie with white (patched tabby - meaning I've got some tabby stripes mixed in with my tortie pattern). I hate to be picked up. I'm friendly if I'm brushed, touched and massaged, but not held. Maybe brushing and massaging will help with your cattitudes.

CAMILLE ROSE (Forever Loved) answered on 9/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tiger Lily

Yup. I am a difficult little tortie. I will not toleerate a halter, them 5 minutes later I dont mind it at all. Sometimes I will accually shift my back when you try to pet me, but 5 minutes later I want to be petted!

Tiger Lily answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer