Is this normal behavior? Is there any idea how long she might take to get more accustomed with us?

We have some wild cat hanging around the in-laws house and the mother in-law has been feeding the cats (along with other outdoor animals) the wife decided to take one of the cats home. Its about 1 year old, female and has been spaded. We have had the cat at home for about 4 days and has basically been behind the sofa looking out the window most of the time. She does not seem to have any issues using the litter box and does like to get brushed when you can get her out for the behind the sofa. She tends to be really skittish nervous and fast movements she tends to run away from. Is this normal behavior and should we just give her some space until she comes around on her own? Is there any idea how long she might take to get more accustomed with us??

Asked by Member 1140750 on Nov 15th 2012 Tagged accustomed, behavior, wild in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

If the cat has been vetted and is healthy, then yes, this is perfectly normal behavior. It is VERY difficult for a cat who is accustomed to living on its own and being totally responsible for its own welfare outdoors to get used to living inside with people. The process of getting used to her new life could take weeks, if not months, depending on how she had to live outside. Even though she doesn't sound truly feral (wild), she is still not socialized. If you can brush her, that's a HUGE step. You need to use great patience, calmness, kindness and love to deal with her. Don't take her attitude personally. Some cats are fine pets but aren't really lapcats. She will decide for herself when she wants to become a "contributing member" of your family. Give her space but don't ignore her. Don't stare right into her eyes as animals see this as a threat. Speak softly. Greet her and then go about your business. Don't force her to be held or petted. Let HER decide what she wants and when. Purrs!

Ghost

When I was brought home from the shelter I hid in the boxspring in the guest bedroom for a solid 5 days. Even after that for a few months if I got scared, thats where I ran to. I have a nice protected sitting spot downstairs now where I can see all the action and I love it. Im still a little shy but not so much skittish now, its been 6 months and I am a total lap cat. A few house guests have even pet me ;) On the petting thing, my human read on here once when you pet a kitty, to pet the full length, all the way down the tail. Pet the feet and chest and belly too. It will take a lot of practice, and knowing when your lil miss is going to bite, but it helps bring down barriers. I couldnt even be pet on my chest when I was brought home but now a hearty scratch there is my favorite! My human even can grab my pooch and ask me why Im so fat when she holds me. I am very comfortable now thanks to all the petting and playing =^.^=

Ghost answered on 11/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer