Sammie

Is there anything I can give my cat for worm prevention?

I don't think she has any type of worms right now but she plays outside a lot and likes to bring me animal gifts. I don't think she eats any rodents but I think she tries to play with them. Is there any sort of prevention besides keeping her in the house all the time. If that is the only way, how am I suppose to keep her in without her meowing her face off to go outside????

Asked by Sammie on Oct 19th 2008 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Most cats can adjust to being indoors only. It can take some time for them to adjust though. Make sure she has toys and regular play sessions. You can also hang a bird feeder outside your window so she has something to watch. Indoor cats can sometimes get bored if they don't have any stimulation. Try to distract her if she meows to go outside or get some spray bottles or shake some coins in a can. This would also be a great topic to discuss with your vet along with worm preventitives/treatment. Keeping her indoor is, of course, the best worm prevention.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 10/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The best worm prevention is to keep the litter box scrupulously clean and as Mr. Fez said, make her an indoor kitty. She's only a year old and can still adjust to being inside. She will meow to go out especially when the little critters outside are at their most active, like now and in Spring, but you're the boss, and if you don't want her outside, she doesn't go out! You'll have to watch so she doesn't bolt like Ernie used to, but also as Mr Fez said, make inside more interesting than outside. She can definitely get worms from what she catches outside, and fleas and other diseases. That's why, in answer to your second question, she does need at least a yearly checkup. My vet recommends outdoor cats come in more often just for a well check. Having just lost my sweet Ernie on the road in August, I have to say I will never have another outdoor cat. Too heartbreaking!