TIA SYDIBIL

Is there a way to have my 2 cats certified as "service animals" to quality under HUD Section 8 housing?

I'm considering renting under section 8 if I qualify; however, have just been told that my cats would be considered "pets" not "service animals". These two cats are my biggest reason for living.

I remember reading somewhere that there might be a way to cause rental agents to consider "companion animals" as "service animals" but can't locate the link.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Asked by TIA SYDIBIL on Feb 21st 2011 in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

I believe that you would have to prove that your animals do, in fact, provide a service for you such as guide dogs do for the blind. I also believe that service animals must provide proof of training to, in fact, have service animal certification. I know that dogs wear special collars or vests in public, but I don't know if cats would also have that sort of recognition. If it were me, I would investigate this further with my medical professionals, especially the people in their office. Many doctors now employ staff that not only helps with insurance claims and such, but also with life skills. They may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Dahlia

Are pets not allowed in Section 8 housing in your area? I assume that is why you are asking this, but in my city there is no such restriction for Section 8. If they are not allowed, I would certainly consider moving elsewhere. There may be other low-cost rental options in your town. A quick google search should hopefully bring other alternatives. Also, a good place to check is your local humane society. Many are getting on the bandwagon and assisting the public in pet-friendly housing choices. Best of luck to you both : ) I don't know what your financial situation is like right now (it's tough for me as well right now) but please hang on to your kitties if at all possible. I think you will regret it later in life. Take care.

Dahlia answered on 2/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer