Is there a way to get my TortoiseShell to stop going to the bathroom on my floor?

I have a 12 year old Tortie. For the past 5 years or so, she goes poo on either my kitchen floor or in the bathtub everytime we go on a trip or she gets stressed. Apperently she gets stressed out like 2-3 times in a month because that's how often I have to clean up after her. Is there a way to get her to stop crapping on the floor when there is three other perfectly clean litter boxes?

Asked by Member 1155064 on Feb 13th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Angel Hallie (5-15-96/11-7-12)

First of all have her examined by your veterinarian. She may have internal parasites or she may have medical problems such as a bowel disorder. Proper treatment of any internal parasites or medical cause may clear up the problem for you. In the meantime you might consider confining her to one room or an extra large plastic dog crate with her bed, litter pan, food, and water and see if she's clean when confined to a small space. If she is clean when confined to a small space, make sure you mention that to the veterinarian as well as telling the vet the problems you're having. You should take a small fresh stool sample with you when you take your cat to the vet too.

Angel Hallie (5-15-96/11-7-12) answered on 2/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Joey

I just helped another poster with this yesterday - it sounds like your cat has a behavioral problem called middening. You will find limited information on the internet about it - but it is basically when a cat purposely defecates in an obvious place in reaction to stress and anxiety - it's also territorial. Does she try to cover her poop when she does it? Probably not - she is doing it out in the open right? It's like spraying - only she is pooping. And because you mention it happens when she is stressed or when you go away it fits. Do you have other animals in the house? Try alleviating her stress and see if it improves - try a Feliway diffuser. Keep track of when it's happening and then when you can eliminate the source of the stress and see if it goes away. Pawmail me if you want to discuss it - I have been through this personally. Good luck.

Joey answered on 2/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer