is there a safe mild calming agent or sedative for cats,don't want to de-claw,she wont let me clip her nails.

Is there any mild sedative or calming agent for a cat so I can safely clip her nail? She hates to have her nails cut an fights hard and hides. I have tried everything and nothing works. She also won't go in the carrier. I wonder if someone hurt her in the past... I do not want to declaw her!
Help!!!

Asked by Member 634512 on May 19th 2008 in Home Grooming

Answers

You know, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to sedate a cat just to trim claws. Sedatives take a while to "kick in" and then the cat is in the Twilight Zone for the rest of the day. If your kitty is that apprehensive about claw trimming, you'd have to give her something more than a mild sedative. The only calming agents I know of are Feliway and Rescue Remedy and I don't believe either of those would calm her enough for claw trimming. You may want to take her to your vet where the people are used to handling apprehensive animals and there are more bodies present to help. I got my boys, Ernie and Iz, used to claw trimming by handling their feet when they were asleep on my lap without trimming. Now, I keep the trimmer on my chairside table and trim as many claws as they allow me to when they're on my lap and half asleep and they really don't mind. As for the carrier, I set mine up on it's end and "dump" the cat in head first. By the time they can turn around, the door's closed!

Lil Bear Boo-Rainbow Bridge 12

Bottled Blessings - all natural essences
also, treats after at least one nail being clipped-she will associate treats with allowing ALL her nails being clipped eventually! Most cats just don' tlike thier feet messed with no matter what, even if never abused. Try one foot at a time, then give it a rest. An hour later try another foot...and so on.

Lil Bear Boo-Rainbow Bridge 12 answered on 5/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pie

i wish i had an answer and if i find one, i will let you know. this weekend it took seven painful attempts to get pie in the carrier for a vet visit. it was awful for both of us.

eventually, i scooped her up in a large sweatshirt (to prevent all claws and teeth from getting me again) and i have a carrier that opens at the top, i just kind of dumped her in.

the vet clipped her nails and they made it look so easy! the technician held her down.

hopefully people will have other tips- i just wanted you to know you're not alone!

Pie answered on 5/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Murphy (Rainbow Bridge)

I have the same problem. My mom has to hold the cat while I do the trim. I have to put a towel on his head to stop him from biting. My mom has to wear protection from being clawed. He growls and screams the whole time. Drs Foster Smith advertise a product called Pet Calm. I am considering trying this product. I too am a desparate owner.

Murphy (Rainbow Bridge) answered on 5/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer