Is there a humane way to euthanize sick feral at home-something in his food? Live trap unsuccessful since 4/09.

Have tried to catch/live trap this feral cat since 3/08. Now he's sick, eating less, lost 1/2 his weight, cannot survive another winter.

Cannot get to vet for proper euthanization.

What do I do? I cannot bear to have him wander off and freeze/starve to death.

We have done our best to care for our "Frankie". He has sheltered area for food and for himself though he has never used the shelter for himself. Comes for food, has been eating less, apparently too smart for live trap.

I'm very worried for him and prefer his death be humane by me as hard as that is to even write since he always runs from us so we cannot bring him to our vet.

We have 7 house cats and consider Frankie our 8th but outdoor pet. He used to be a large, muscular feral approx 18#.

He now looks like a kitten approx 8#. Has been in fights and looks like other ferals caught who had Felv.

We cannot bear the thought of him dying alone someplace. Is it possible to help him now? Thanks for your help.

Asked by Member 897059 on Oct 4th 2009 Tagged feral, sick, selfeuthanize in Health & Wellness

Answers

Natasha

Please don't do it yourself. Contact the local animal shelter and tell them of this feral cat. I understand that you can't bear him suffering but he would be better off in the shelter where they can decide his fate.

Thank you. Again do not do this yourself...Bamcat

Natasha answered on 10/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Can your vet give you some kind of sedative/tranquilliser to put in his food so you can catch him? If they could do that and you can get him into a cage then he can be humanely euthanised by the vet which would be better. I don't think taking him to a shelter would be a good idea for him as it would be very stressful for a feral cat.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

There is no pain free quick death you can do at home, your ONLY option is to somehow get this little guy to the vet. The above poster has a awesome suggestion to put sedatives in his food but you would have to watch him to make sure you know where he is once he falls asleep. Make sure you give him the sedative with his morning meal to ensure you get him to the vet during the day and quickly. No need for him to wake up at the vet or the carrier and get freaked out and scared if your going to have him euthanized. Get the vet to do it before he wakes. He will remember having a awesome meal and then running across the rainbow bridge.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 10/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gabby

That is a hard one. I don't know of a completely pain-free . . .let's be honest and call it poison. Obviously the live trap is not going to work for you and most animal rescue groups don't have a tranqu. gun to use. Those really nasty cat diseases can be dangerous to your other 7 so I understand why you just want it over for Frankie and the others sakes.

One option, and I hate writing this down since it looks really bad. However, rat poison ground up and put in canned food actually has a very mild flavor that is meant to fool even cleaver animals. Pets die by internal bleeding within the day if he got a reasonable dose. Gosh I feel like a monster even writing it out, but it is just a fact of life. After seeing countless cats and dogs die by accidental (or angry neiighbors) rat poisoning I think it looks pretty painless and rather fast. I (Gabby's owner ) have worked in a vet clinic for over 7 years.

I don't envy your situation.

Gabby answered on 10/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chaplin

I don't know if you've ended up doing anything yet or not...but here are a couple of recommendations:

a). a few months back, I trapped a feral cat and had her spayed. Two days later, I noticed that her stitches had split and her intestines were poking out (!!!). For THREE WEEKS I could not get her to back into the trap. I kept her alive by grinding up antibiotics and putting them in sardines. I was FINALLY able to trap her by trying a different trap--as small a trap as I could get that I knew would still fit a cat. This trap was MUCH more sensitive than the trap I had been using. To get her to go in, I made a trail of sardines, starting about 5 feet outside of the trap and working inward. I made the trail go all the way through to the back of the trap, and I rubbed the trap in sardine juice, too. She FINALLY followed the trail, and before she knew it, she was in the trap. If you haven't tried this method, I recommend it! I also recommend trying a new trap.

Chaplin answered on 10/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer