Bear

Is peanut butter toxic?

i mean, in high amounts. i didn't want to put that up there. we give Mittens peanut butter sometimes, only a taste. he seems to enjoy it and he's never acted sick. i know they shouldn't have it, because it's really high in fat. but i've been wondering if he shouldn't have it at all. he gets less than what would be considered a mouthful. barely enough to coat his tongue. we don't always have any choice whether or not he gets it, we've had him for almost a year and a half, and we can't break him of getting on the counter. so sometimes, he gets some off a butter knife that wasn't properly rinsed. he also likes wheat bread and grape jelly. but he doesn't get much wheat bread, not since we put it in a cabinet (he ripped open a loaf of bread once.) i'm sure he shouldn't have these things, he gets an excellent diet. we feed them Purina Cat Chow mixed with the Indoor Formula (inside-outside cats). but he is, as my mom says, a glutton. i know many people foods are toxic.& he is lactose tolerant


Asked by Bear on Jan 12th 2009 in Other Food & Nutrition
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Izadore (Izzie)

Peanut butter itself is not poisonous to animals. I actually use it to give my dogs pills if I'm out of "pill pockets". However, it's very thick and dense in the throat and if he gets ahold of a big clump of it, he could choke. In addition, lots of people bait mouse/rat traps with peanut butter. It masks the smell of the poison. If he is an outdoor kitty or he got out, and he smells it on a set trap, well, you know where I'm heading with this. Garlic and onions are toxic to cats and dogs, even when cooked and on a pizza, so make sure you don't leave those lying around. Anything in abundance is not good for cats, including milk. When you see photos of a cat enjoying a saucer of cream or milk, their owner will probably be cleaning up hurl or diahrrea later on because it doesn't sit well. A few tablespoons, however, is OK once in while. The knife is probably more dangerous to him that the tiny amount of p'nut on it!


Izadore (Izzie) answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Oscar J. Cat

Peanut butter is fine, just be careful with how much you give because like Izzie said, it's hard for them to swallow sometimes.

Oscar J. has a spoonful of milk every morning and does just fine. (His Daddy spoiled him.) But do be careful with how much you give. I can testify that all cats are somewhat lactose intolerant. I was the newbie cat owner that gave the cat a saucer of milk. Trust me, it's not as cute when it comes back. BLECH!

Oscar also gets a spoonful of plain, water packed tuna when Meowmie makes her sandwich.

Yes, he is the king of his castle. MOL


Oscar J. Cat answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer